- Toledo Schools On ACT 2-Hour Late Start Today
- Cancelled, Postponed, Rescheduled (Snow)
- Logan Grove Update
- Episode 46 & Treknology, Iceland Adventure with Ethan Siegel
- Today: Toledo Historical Society Meets
- Tuesday: v:T A.R.E., Medic One Meetings
- Future-Tripping: Feeds, Fundraisers, Fun & More
Correction: Thanks to the winners of the Eagle Eyed Reader Contest for pointing out Toledo’s BIG Community Meeting is 7 PM March 22 at Toledo Middle School.
The Other Toledo incorrectly posted this annual event as taking place March 6.
The Other Toledo regrets any inconvenience occasioned by this error, and is glad to set the record straight.
Reminder: ACT 2-hour Late Start all schools & District Offices this morning.
*Weather updates for SW Washington from National Weather Service Portland OR.
Cancelled, Postponed, Rescheduled:
Health & Hope Medical Outreach cancelled their weekly clinic last Tuesday night, due to weather. Open 5:30 - 8:00 PM Tuesdays. Details at link above.
From Toledo Fire Department - Lewis County Interlocal (Medic One) Meeting scheduled for 2/20/18 has been rescheduled to 2/27/18 at 7:00 PM due to weather.
Toledo Branding & Tourism Board posted: (Thursday’s) meeting at Camp Singing Wind has been cancelled. We are working on a reschedule date.
Postponed: WSU Advanced Canning Demo Workshop originally slated for February 23 will be rescheduled, time & date TBA. Follow Lewis County’s Melanie Case for updates.
Angela Hill Grove updated: We are home early!!! Everything looks great! Going back in a few weeks for med changes!!!
Earlier: Just wanted to tell you all that we have closed the Logan* fund at Timberland bank in Toledo. Thank you for all you've done for us.
Logan and I are in Seattle for the next few days for some testing. Will keep you updated!!
* Logan Grove is amazing 17 year old with a genetic heart disorder: Dilated Cardiomyopathy & Tachycardia (heart failure). Logan is required to take several medications daily all of which have the potential to cause him a heart attack, stroke, or coma. Eventually his meds will stop working and he will need a heart transplant. Medical costs are mounding with the MANY appointments to Tacoma & Seattle, constant tests, and medications required to merely manage his condition.
Episode 46 - Treknology: Science fiction writer Scott Pearson welcomes astrophysicist Ethan Siegel to discuss science and Treknology, his new book about how the technology of Star Trek compares with what we have now and what we could develop in the future. Plus, Ella reacts to the surprise at the end of Star Trek: Discovery’s first season finale.
More Signature Ethan: Limited Offer: Join Me On An All-Inclusive AstroTour Of Iceland!
Okay, this is an incredible and rare opportunity, but I’m so pleased to announce that next January, from the 18th-24th, 2019, I’ll be leading an exclusive AstroTour of Iceland!
We’ll hit highlights like geothermal fields, waterfalls, active volcanoes, the famous rift valley and Blue Lagoon, but the biggest highlights will come at night! We’re going to go aurora hunting, enjoying the thrilling sights and stories of the night sky, and on the 21st, we’ll be treated to a total lunar eclipse in the hours before sunrise!
Best of all, you’ll get to have exclusive access to me, Ethan Siegel, as we talk about life, the Universe, and everything! Seats are limited and the tour will sell out, so start planning now. I can’t wait to see you there!
Today: Toledo Historical Society meets 4 p.m. fourth Mondays at Toledo Community Library, where the History Room displays early pictures, papers and artifacts generously donated by area families. The Society also participates in numerous projects in the community, and funds scholarships.
New members welcomed.
Tuesday: Toledo New Life Community Food Bank 10 a.m. - noon last Tuesday & Wednesday monthly serving our community area of Toledo by sharing the love of Christ through the essential needs we all have.
Visit http://www.toledo-new-life.com or call (360)864-4366.
- Health & Hope Medical Outreach open 5:30 - 8:00 PM Tuesdays.
- vision:Toledo Arts, Rec & Events meets 6:30 PM at Morgan Arts Center.
- Lewis County Interlocal (Medic One) Meeting 7 PM (rescheduled due to snow).
- Page Turners Book Group meets 1:30 PM at Toledo Community Library.
- Paint Night 6 PM at Morgan Arts Center
- Toledo Investment Group meets 6:30 PM at Camp Singing Wind
Reservations required: Toledo Senior Center Nutrition Lunch Wednesday & Friday are sponsored in part by Area Agency on Aging. Suggested donation $3 for those 60+ years of age. Call (360)864-2112 for details.
*ISO: Lewis County Seniors’ Second Time Around Thrift Store in search of washer & dryer for their new store at 749 S Market Boulevard, Chehalis, Washington 98532. Contact them at (360) 557-3113.
*ISO = In Search Of
Future-Tripping: Feeds, Fundraisers, Fun & More
For The Future: LC Solid Waste Recycling Coordinator Melanie Case says:
Soil Testing Class coming soon! Pre-register by March 1 to reserve your spot for this popular, free class on March 6.
Plus: Our Lewis County Master Recycler Composter volunteers teach how to fold newspapers into planting pots that can just be transplanted into the ground, because the newspaper will decompose.
Using eggshells is a great idea, too!
Free: 7 PM March 6 at Toledo High School - Music Mania '18 concert that will include drama, band and choir.
More Fun: Toledo High School’s incomparable Mr T Pageant returns 7 PM March 8. Be amazed at the talent, innovation, and sheer hilarity guaranteed to knock the rust off your funny bone.
Comedy Night Toledo Youth Baseball Fundraiser March 17 At Donna’s Place.
For Teens: Applications are now being accepted for summer Ecology Youth Corps work, and must be received by April 6. Earn $11.50/hour for a 4-week session during either early or late summer session. Details and application online at www.ecology.wa.gov/eyc. Deadline April 6.
Foraging: Washington Dept of Fish & Wildlife announces tentative razor clam digging dates for March & April. The proposed razor clam digs, along with low tides and beaches, are listed below:
- March 2, Friday, 6:54 p.m.; -0.8 feet; Mocrocks
- March 3, Saturday, 7:34 p.m.; -0.3 feet; Mocrocks
- March 16, Friday, 7:03 p.m.; +0.2 feet; Copalis, Mocrocks
- March 17, Saturday, 7:36 p.m.; +0.2 feet; Long Beach, Twin Harbors, Copalis, Mocrocks
- April 19, Thursday, 9:46 a.m.; -0.9 feet; Mocrocks
- April 20, Friday, 10:37 a.m.; -0.7 feet; Mocrocks
- April 21, Saturday, 11:34 a.m.; -0.4 feet; Long Beach, Twin Harbors, Mocrocks (digging hours will be extended to 1 p.m.)
- April 22, Sunday, 12:38 p.m.; -0.1 feet; Long Beach, Twin Harbors, Mocrocks (digging hours will be extended to 2 p.m.)
Fun: Toledo Senior Center hosts their Fifth Annual Ladies Tea April 8. Tix now on sale $20. Hurry, these sell out fast!
Your continued support is critical as Lewis County Seniors move into their first year as a self-supporting non-profit entity. Toledo Senior Center aims to meet their $700/month obligation to keep the lights on with monthly breakfasts, community meals, classes and special events.
Check out their 2018 Calendar of Community Events.
For The Future: TES PTO Kids Garden is looking for garden sponsors, which ensures the continuation and improvement of this awesome program. If your family or business is interested, the form is below.
* Garden Sponsor Form 2017-18.docx
For The Future: Toledo Middle School PTO's posted: If you would like to help support our efforts to bring more laptops to Toledo Middle School please read this and spread the word. You can donate here. Thank you for your support of our kids.
Full details posted in 02.23.2018 Friday Column.
*Atta Girl Award goes out to Don Beck, first generous contributor to this worthy goal.
Finally: Vision:TOLEDO announces Sign up forms for (2018) Cheese Days Parade and vendor booths. Full information about the parade can be found here:
Photos from TOT archives unless otherwise noted.
Email your news, reviews and events to: firstname.lastname@example.org Photos .jpeg or .png format please.
The Other Toledo is on Facebook.