- National Weather Service: Rain And Snow For The Northwest Late This Week
- Toledo Middle School: Toledo BIG Community Meeting
- Toledo School District: THS Design Team Rolls Up Their Sleeves
- FDA: Food & Drug Recalls, Other FDA News
- WA ATG: Ferguson Says Navy Polluting Sound, Commits $750K To Test Backlog
- Cowlitz, Wahkiakum: Burn Bans Issued In Wake Of Brush Fires
- Billie Washington: Early Childhood Trauma Carries Lifelong Consequences
- Today: Worldwide Downs Awareness Day
- Local Events: Vernal Equinox Art Fair, Magic In The Air, Annual Seed Swap
- Toledo High School Sports: March 2019
- Future-Tripping: Feeds, Fundraisers, Forms, Fun & More
Come to find out what's happening in the Greater Toledo Community.
BIG Community Meeting 9.0
March 21, 2019 • 7 P.M. • Toledo Middle School
• Learn about the Revitalization of Downtown.
• Hear the latest info about the New Toledo High School.
• Take a new Survey to tell us your vision for Toledo.
• Learn about new programs for our Kids.
• Find out what new Events are planned for this year.
• Share with us what you are doing for the Greater Toledo Community.
• Take a Quiz to test your knowledge of Toledo.
• Watch the Bigfoot Saga.
• See Dancing Cops.
• And more.
National Weather Service Seattle WA: Rain and Snow for the Northwest Late This Week
Another cold front entering the West Coast states by late Friday will bring more rain and higher elevation snows to California, the Pacific Northwest, and parts of the interior West this weekend.
Toledo School District reported:
Toledo Middle School boasted:
FDA Drug Recalls:
- 03/18/2019 - Mylan Institutional LLC Initiates Voluntary Nationwide Recall of Levoleucovorin Injection Due to the Presence of Particulate Matter
- 03/19/2019: Legacy Pharmaceutical Packaging, LLC Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of Losartan Potassium Tablets, USP, 25mg, 50mg, And 100mg Due to The Detection of Trace Amounts Of N-Nitroso N-Methyl 4-Amino Butyric Acid (NMBA) Impurity Found in The Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (API)
Other FDA News:
- March 19, 2019 - FDA approves first treatment for post-partum depression
- March 19, 2019 - FDA issues warning letters to two breast implant manufacturers for failure to comply with post-approval study requirements
- March 19, 2019 - Statement from FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, M.D., and Deputy Commissioner Frank Yiannas on new steps to strengthen FDA’s food safety program for 2020 and beyond
Washington State Attorney General Ferguson announced:
AG Ferguson today filed a motion to join a lawsuit challenging the U.S. Navy’s practice of scraping the hulls of decommissioned vessels in a way that pollutes Puget Sound. This contamination can harm marine life up and down the food chain, including salmon and orcas.
“Everyone has a duty to protect our waters, including the federal government,” said Ferguson. “The Navy’s actions endanger Washington’s diverse marine life, including salmon and orcas. The Navy must take responsibility for its actions and be held accountable.”
News Release: AG FERGUSON SEEKS TO JOIN LAWSUIT AGAINST NAVY FOR POLLUTING PUGET SOUND
In another News Release: AG FERGUSON COMMITS $750,000 TO TEST SEXUAL ASSAULT KITS
Washington State Patrol posted:
Every member of the Washington State Patrol offers heartfelt condolences to the family, friends, and colleagues of the @KCSheriffOffice deputy killed in the line of duty last evening. We also offer our never ceasing support to the Kittitas PD officer wounded during the same incident along with all family members and fellow law enforcement personnel impacted.
Our state is honored by the courage and sacrifice of these two public servants and those that know and love them.
Cowlitz County DEM (Department of Emergency Management) issued:
Cowlitz Co. officials issue county wide burn ban, multiple brush fires - 03/20/19
Cowlitz County, WA – Multiple brush fires have ignited across the county and a burn ban has been instated by Cowlitz County officials; this includes residential fires and burn pile burning. Brush fires in the area of Carlon Loop Rd (2-3 acres), Ragland Rd (3-4 acres), Tower Rd (unknown size at this time), and North Maple Hill Rd (200-400 feet wide) have ignited, some caused by unattended campfires and burn piles that the wind caught. Most of the fires in the last few days have required evacuations of homes that were threatened by fire.
Recent warm temperatures, low Relative Humidity (RH) levels, and strong warm East winds have contributed to the cause. Cowlitz County has had over seven brush fires in the past three days. Local resources including Cowlitz 2 Fire & Rescue, Cowlitz County Fire District 5, Cowlitz County District 6, The Department of Natural Resources (DNR), Longview Fire, Cowlitz County Sheriff’s office have all contributed to the fire suppression efforts and evacuations.
More information on all incidents will be updated as it is available.
Wahkiakum County Sheriff's Office announced: A burn ban is in effect (March 20, 2019) for Wahkiakum County.
Washington State Fire Wire reported Wednesday:
WILDFIRE ACTIVITY - WASHINGTON STATE: Warm, dry weather coupled with an East Wind event have resulted in 25 wildfires for a combined 313 acres. 24 of those fires started in Western Washington. Just caught word of resource requests happening for a 100+ acre fire (possibly southwest WA - Lewis County which was listed at 80 acres yesterday), though we haven't had that confirmed as of yet.
Washington State Department of Natural Resources reported: "Brush fires can get out of control especially when we haven’t had much moisture recently."
Commissioner of Public Lands Hilary Franz talked to KOMO News about the nearly two dozen wildfires that popped up this week in Western Washington. Please be careful out there!
Full article: bit.ly/2U3k0FS
Toledo’s Billie Washington penned this observation in response to this article:
Rapid City Diocese: 21 priests credibly accused of sexual abuse
Early childhood trauma is why so many in our nation are addicted to substances, involved with domestic violence, cannot hold jobs. Early trauma destroys the lives of many. It might be a choice to do drugs, etc., but sometimes the pain is just too much. To be a strong nation of healthy citizens we need continue to clean this mess up. The danger to our country does not lie outside of us but lies at our feet. Building a wall, fortifying our military, will not make us stronger but will probably destroy us until we re-build the foundation. If it’s not on our doorstep yet, it doesn’t mean it is not already affecting our life in one way or another. Stand tall, shine your light and be brave knowing this evil is being destroyed.
*Special Thanks to Billie Washington for this post.
Cheese Days Toledo Washington announced:
Toledo Community Library reminder:
Image courtesy Charles Pruett
Annie Jones: Update - the Schey Family could still use meals for the next few weeks as Kelly has had return hospital visits and has been sent home with even stricter instructions to slow down and take it easy while she heals! She says that homemade one-pan freezer meals that the kids can easily pop in the oven or crock pot would be most helpful. Please help if you can - thanks! See link* to coordinate - takethemameal.com
Angela Norberg Bacon posted: March 21, 2019 is World Down Syndrome Day.
Suzanne Kasner wrote: Hello Friends of Toledo Elementary!
Book fair starts Monday at lunch time! We really need help with this event!
Please reach out to me or take a look at the signup genius* posted below, and pick a time slot where you can come help.
We are getting new cash registers that are so easy to use! Also just signing up to help the students shop is a wonderful way to help as well!
*SignUpGenius Link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/508044dacac2ca1fa7-book2?fbclid=IwAR3zfPsyBfB_FFOruCLHkt5xYuigvY3lWy8r2UFzC9wTCdjHTWjR4hwv8Rk
Did you know that you can shop online at our book fair? Click the link below* to go to Scholastic online and read more about new books, order online, and sign up for that cool new E-Wallet option for your kiddos!
Book fair will be open:
Mon 3/25 at lunch, after school, and during conferences
Tues 3/26 before school, during lunch, and after school
Wed 3/27 before school, at lunch, after school and during conferences
Thurs 3/28 before school, at lunch, and after school
Fri 3/29 before school and at lunch
We are still in need of adult helpers, mostly to assist the children in choosing books. Please let us know how you can help, lots of shifts available!
* Link: https://bookfairs.scholastic.com/bookfairs/cptoolkit/homepage.do?method=homepage&url=toledoelementaryschool3
- Toledo Food Bank Open 11 AM - 1 PM behind City Hall
- Courage To Change Al-Anon AFG @ Presbyterian Church
- Cowlitz Prairie Grange Open Mic Night @ Grange Hall
City of Toledo announcement: Planning Commission Vacancy
Toledo High School Sports - March 2019
March 21st vs. Stevenson 6:00 @ WHS
March 23rd @ Columbia-White Salmon 2:00pm bus @ 9:30am
March 26th @ King’s Way 6:00
March 28th vs. Seton Catholic 6:00 @ WHS
March 20th JV vs. King’s Way 4:00
March 21st @ Onalaska 4:00 bus @ 2:30
March 26th vs. Elma 4:00
March 29th @ Morton White Pass 4:00
March 21st @ Onalaska 4:00 bus @ 2:30
March 28th vs. King’s Way 3:00/5:00
March 29th @ Morton White Pass 4:00
Track: March 21st @ Toutle Lake 3:45 bus @ 1:55
March 26th @ Adna 3:30pm bus 1:55
Future-Tripping: Feeds, Fundraisers, Fun & More
!!! NEW !!! April 12: Coffee House @ Toledo High School
March 23: Afternoon at the Easel @ Toledo New Life Assembly
March 23: Classic Meatloaf Dinner & Magic Show @ Toledo Senior Center
March 23-24: Vernal Equinox Art Fair @ Morgan Arts Centre
March 25: Silent Auction Deadline Extended @ Toledo Senior Center
April 27: Fundraiser - Silent Auction & Music for Gayle Homes @ Donna’s Place
May 4: Katie’s Kids Breakfast @ Toledo High School
Toledo Builds a High School
Information regarding the building of a new high school in Toledo, WA beginning in November, 2018. Regular updates.
Check out Latest Earthquakes at USGS.
Check out US Tsunami Warnings at NOAA/Weather.
Air Quality Forecast at https://airquality.weather.gov
Visualize wildfire smoke with NASAWorldview - https://go.nasa.gov/2T7olog
The Other Toledo is delivered to your email inbox via MailerLite. If you're having trouble getting your Daily Column, your security settings might not recognize MailerLite as (your email)via mlsend.
Photos from TOT archives unless otherwise noted.
Send news and events to: email@example.com
The Other Toledo is on Twitter.