- Toledo Middle School: Toledo BIG Community Meeting
- Toledo School District: THS Design Team Rolls Up Their Sleeves
- FDA: Food & Pet Food Recalls, Other FDA News
- USDA-FSIS: Tyson Chicken Strips Products Recalled
- Cowlitz, Wahkiakum: Burn Bans Issued In Wake Of Brush Fires
- WA State Fire Wire: Western WA Wildfire Numbers For March - 49
- Ethan Siegel: One Of Four NASA Missions To Be Selected;
- Today: Toledo Food Bank, Cowlitz Grange Open Mic Night
- Local Events: Vernal Equinox Art Fair, Magic In The Air, Annual Seed Swap
- Toledo High School Sports: March 2019
- Future-Tripping: Feeds, Fundraisers, Forms, Fun & More
Special Thanks to Boone Bergsma, WeThinkItMattersInc for highlights of Toledo’s Ninth Annual BIG Community Meeting in photos.
*Facebook members can catch Toledo School District’s live stream at this link:
Special Thanks to Supt Chris Rust, videographer
FDA Drug Recalls:
- PET FOOD RECALL: Hill’s Pet Nutrition has expanded its January recall of canned dog food to include 85 total lots of 44 varieties of Hill’s Science Diet & Hill’s Prescription Diet canned dog food due to very high levels of vitamin D. Owners should stop feeding all recalled products and contact their vet if their dog shows signs of vitamin D toxicity, which can lead to kidney failure or death. Symptoms to watch for include vomiting, decreased appetite, increased thirst, increased urination, excessive drooling & weight loss.
For a list of all products recalled to date: https://go.usa.gov/xEt3T
Initial Press Release link here.
Century Snacks, LLC of Commerce, CA is recalling all packages of 3-oz. and 5.75-oz. SNAK CLUB HONEY BLISS NUT MIX due to undeclared MILK. People who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to MILK run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume these products.
- 03/21/2019: Better Made Snack Foods Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Milk In 10 Ounce $3.99 Original Potato Chips
As a preventative measure, Better Made Snack Foods of Detroit, MI, is recalling 10-ounce packages of Original Potato Chips because they may contain undeclared milk. People who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to milk run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume these products.
- Ata Int. Inc. Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of BLUEFUSION Capsules, due to presence of Undeclared Sildenafil, Tadalafil, Desmethyl carbodenafil, Dithiodesmethyl carbodenafil, Scutellarin and Daidzein
Other FDA News:
- March 21, 2019 - FDA approves new device for treating moderate to severe chronic heart failure in patients
USDA-FSIS News Release: Mar 21, 2019 Tyson Foods, Inc. Recalls Chicken Strip Products due to Possible Foreign Matter Contamination
Tyson Foods, Inc., a Rogers, Ark. establishment, is recalling approximately 69,093 pounds of frozen, ready-to-eat chicken strip products that may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically pieces of metal, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.
Cowlitz County DEM (Department of Emergency Management) issued:
Cowlitz Co. officials issue county wide burn ban, multiple brush fires - 03/20/19
Wahkiakum County Sheriff's Office announced: A burn ban is in effect (March 20, 2019) for Wahkiakum County.
Washington State Fire Wire reported Thursday:
WILDFIRE ACTIVITY - WASHINGTON STATE: For the record, at least 49 significant brush/wildfires in Western Washington this week... In March.
Ethan Siegel wrote: One Of These Four Missions Will Be Selected As NASA's Next Flagship For Astrophysics
“Choosing which of these missions to build and fly will, in many ways, inform our plans for the next 30 years (or more) of astronomy. NASA is the pre-eminent space agency in the world. This is where science, research, development, discovery, and innovation all come together. The spinoff technologies alone justify the investment, but that’s not why we do it. We are here to discover the Universe. We are here to learn all that we can about the cosmos and our place within it. We are here to find out what the Universe looks like and how it came to be the way it is today.
People will always argue over budgets — the penny-pinchers are always happy to propose something that’s faster, cheaper, and worse — but the reality is this: the budget for NASA Astrophysics as a whole is just $1.35 billion per year: less than 0.1% of the federal discretionary budget and less than 0.03% of the total federal budget. And still, for that tiny amount, NASA has steadily built a flagship program that’s the envy of the free world.”
Every 10 years, NASA performs a decadal survey, where it outlines its highest mission priorities for the next 10 years. The 2020 decadal is happening imminently, and once the recommendations are submitted to the National Resource Council at the National Academies of Science, the four flagship finalists will be ranked. This will determine NASA astrophysics’ direction for the 2030s.
James Webb is the flagship for the 2010s; WFIRST is it for the 2020s. What will we choose for the 2030s? It will be one of these four finalists! Dream big, everyone.
Special thanks to Ethan Siegel for permission to share this post.
Toledo Senior Center Silent Auction deadline extended through 3 PM Monday, March 25.
Find your next needful thing at Saturday’s dinner & show, make your bid & help support the folks who supported you.
*ISO: Need to find an instructor for afternoon Better Bones and Balance exercise class. There are about 12-15 who would take it again IF we had an instructor. Tuesday & Thursday afternoons.
Contact Toledo Senior Center, (360)864-2112. Also on Facebook.
Toledo Youth Baseball reminder: Mandatory Babe Ruth Tryouts!! Sunday March 24th from 3pm to 5pm at the Toledo High School Field.
****************************************************Anyone wanting to sign up must be there no later than 2:45pm to fill out paperwork in order to make the list for tryouts!!!
Toledo Community Library reminder:
Suzanne Kasner wrote: Hello Friends of Toledo Elementary!
Book fair starts Monday at lunch time! We really need help with this event!
*SignUpGenius Link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/508044dacac2ca1fa7-book2?fbclid=IwAR3zfPsyBfB_FFOruCLHkt5xYuigvY3lWy8r2UFzC9wTCdjHTWjR4hwv8Rk
Did you know that you can shop online at our book fair? Click the link below* to go to Scholastic online and read more about new books, order online, and sign up for that cool new E-Wallet option for your kiddos!
Book fair will be open:
Mon 3/25 at lunch, after school, and during conferences
Tues 3/26 before school, during lunch, and after school
Wed 3/27 before school, at lunch, after school and during conferences
Thurs 3/28 before school, at lunch, and after school
Fri 3/29 before school and at lunch
- Toledo Food Bank Open 11 AM - 1 PM behind City Hall
- Courage To Change Al-Anon AFG @ Presbyterian Church
- Cowlitz Prairie Grange Open Mic Night @ Grange Hall
- March 23: WSU Lewis County Master Gardeners - Free Workshop - Getting The Vegetable Garden Started. 10:00AM Salkum Library Demonstration Garden 2480 U.S. Highway 12, Salkum
- March 23: Third Annual Seed Swap @ Toledo Community Library
- March 23: Afternoon at the Easel @ Toledo New Life Assembly
- March 23: Classic Meatloaf Dinner & Magic Show @ Toledo Senior Center
- March 23-24: Vernal Equinox Art Fair @ Morgan Arts Centre
- March 25: Silent Auction Deadline Extended @ Toledo Senior Center
Monday: Toledo Historical Society
Toledo Historical Society meet 4 p.m. fourth Mondays at the Community Library, where the History Room displays early pictures, papers and artifacts generously donated by area families. The Society also participates in numerous projects in the community, and funds scholarships.
New members welcomed.
City of Toledo:
Toledo High School Sports - March 2019
March 21st vs. Stevenson 6:00 @ WHS
March 23rd @ Columbia-White Salmon 2:00pm bus @ 9:30am
March 26th @ King’s Way 6:00
March 28th vs. Seton Catholic 6:00 @ WHS
March 20th JV vs. King’s Way 4:00
March 21st @ Onalaska 4:00 bus @ 2:30
March 26th vs. Elma 4:00
March 29th @ Morton White Pass 4:00
March 21st @ Onalaska 4:00 bus @ 2:30
March 28th vs. King’s Way 3:00/5:00
March 29th @ Morton White Pass 4:00
Track: March 21st @ Toutle Lake 3:45 bus @ 1:55
March 26th @ Adna 3:30pm bus 1:55
Future-Tripping: Feeds, Fundraisers, Fun & More
April 27: Fundraiser - Silent Auction & Music for Gayle Homes @ Donna’s Place
May 4: Katie’s Kids Breakfast @ Toledo High School
Toledo Builds a High School
Information regarding the building of a new high school in Toledo, WA beginning in November, 2018. Regular updates.
Check out Latest Earthquakes at USGS.
Check out US Tsunami Warnings at NOAA/Weather.
Air Quality Forecast at https://airquality.weather.gov
Visualize wildfire smoke with NASAWorldview - https://go.nasa.gov/2T7olog
The Other Toledo is delivered to your email inbox via MailerLite. If you're having trouble getting your Daily Column, your security settings might not recognize MailerLite as (your email)via mlsend.
Photos from TOT archives unless otherwise noted.
Send news and events to: email@example.com
The Other Toledo is on Twitter.