- National Weather Service: Sunny & Warm This Week *
- FDA: Vivimed Recalls Heritage Losartan Tablets *
- Cowlitz Indian Tribe: Two New Indian Police Grads Tie For Top Honors *
- WSU Lewis County Master Gardeners: Weeds *
- Tech Tuesday: All Over The Board *
- Not Strictly Toledo: Health & Hope Medical Outreach, Permaculture Workshop *
- Today: Ukulele Lessons *
- Wednesday: Anti-Fraud Workshop At Toledo Senior Center, Yoga At St Mary’s *
- Toledo High School Sports - May 2019 *
- Future-Tripping: Feeds, Fundraisers, Forms, Fun & More *
Toledo Middle School boasted: Mr. Schlauch handed out a Toledo Pride shirt today!
TES Principal Angela Norberg Bacon posted: If you can read this - Thank A Teacher
US National Weather Service Seattle Washington posted:
Sunny and warm weather will prevail through this week. Temperatures will warm further into the 70's and 80's by this weekend with relief on the coast.
FDA: News & Recalls
5/6/2029: UPDATE - FDA alerts patients and health care professionals to Vivimed’s recall of losartan medication due to NMBA
FDA is alerting patients and health care professionals to a voluntary recall of 19 lots of losartan potassium tablets made by Vivimed Life Sciences Pvt Ltd in Alathur, Chennai, India and distributed by Heritage Pharmaceuticals Inc, East Brunswick, New Jersey, due to the detection of the impurity N-Nitroso-N-methyl-4-aminobutyric acid (NMBA). Vivimed is recalling lots of losartan-containing medication that tested positive for NMBA above 9.82 parts per million.
*Note: When posting FDA Food, Drug & Pet Food Recalls, The Other Toledo omits those announcements that do not affect Washington State & the region.
For up-to-date info on all recalls, visit FDA’s Recalls, Market Withdrawals, & Safety Alerts page. Link here: https://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/default.htm
For other food-related alerts, visit USDA’s FSIS (Food Safety & Inspection Service) page.
Link here: http://tinyurl.com/yy4cdes9
WSU Lewis County Master Gardeners shared: Weeds are an indicator of a soil’s health
Originally published by Michigan State University Extension, most of the weeds highlighted are familiar in Lewis County WA.
Excerpt: Signs of soil deficiencies -
- Redroot weeds, such as redroot pigweed (Amaranthus retroflexus), are signs that the iron-manganese ratio is out of balance. It may indicate there is too much iron or too little manganese. It also indicates a soil that is very high in potassium and manganese and low in phosphorus and calcium.
- Quackgrass (Elytrigia repens) is a sign of improper iron-manganese ratio.
- Bitterweed (Helenium tenuifolium), trumpet vine (Campsis radicans), broom sedge (Andropogon virginicus), stinging nettle (Utica dioica), horsetail (Equisetum arvense) and wild buckwheat (Polygonum convolvulus) may all indicate a calcium deficiency in the soil.
- Wild buckwheat (Polygonum convolvulus) also signifies low phosphorus and an excess of potassium.
- Burdock (Artium lappa) indicates low calcium, high potassium soils.
- Curly dock (Rumex crispus) loves compacted soil, low calcium and extremely high magnesium, phosphorus and pot.
- Lambsquarters (Chenopodium album) grows in low phosphorus, high potassium soils.
- Foxtail barley (Hordeum jubatum) likes low calcium, high magnesium, as well as compacted and poorly drained soil.
- Knapweed (Centaurea maculosa) grows in soils that are low in calcium, humus and very low phosphorus levels.
- Oxeye daisy (Chrysanthemum leucanthemum) prefers to grow in soils that are low phosphorus, high potassium and high magnesium soils
*Links have descriptive photos
Cowlitz Indian Tribe announced:
Austin Moore received awards for:
• Guide flag banner carrier for class 168
• Top award (tied with Seth) for physical fitness
• Top gun award high shooter for class 168
Seth Ehrhorn received awards for:
• High speed patrol car driving and safety
• Top award (tied with Austin) for physical fitness
The Cowlitz Tribe is honored to call these young men Cowlitz Citizens. If you are given the opportunity be sure to shake their hand and thank them for this invaluable service that they are providing.
Washington State Fire Wire reported Monday:
WILDFIRE - LEWIS COUNTY (WA): Firefighters responded to a brush fire along King Road west of Evaline in Lewis County, Washington. Fire estimated at 2 acres. No word on containment or structural threat at this time.
Tech Tuesday: All Over The Board
CNET: Roku Premiere 4K HDR is on sale for $30
AndroidCentral: How to convert a Windows laptop to a Chromebook*
Tom’s Guide: Google Pixel 3a Reportedly Coming to Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint
groovyPost: How to Prevent Your Identity From Getting Stolen
How-To Geek: Windows 10’s “Check for Updates” Button Just Got Safer
Microsoft promised to stop installing unstable updates when you click “Check for Updates” and now it’s delivering. Rather than automatically installing such updates, Windows gives you a “Download and install now” button.
ZDNET.COM: Firefox add-ons disabled en masse after Mozilla certificate issue
Firefox users report having add-ons disabled, being unable to re-activate or (re)-install extensions.
Gizmodo: Apple, Google Remove Three Dating Apps FTC Said Could Expose Minors to Sexual Predators
The Root: You Got the Wrong Black Girl on the Right Day, Baby: Montana Woman Kicks Police Out of Her House; Black Twitter Rejoices
*This is my weekend project for upgrading an old laptop. Yep, I’m that geeky.
Not Strictly Toledo: Laura Sweeney @ Onalaska High School May 7
Not Strictly Toledo: Health and Hope Medical Outreach
FREE MEDICAL CLINIC TONIGHT from 5:30 - 8:00pm
Located at 1911 Cooks Hill Rd. Centralia. (NW Pediatrics - West Building)
Health & Hope Medical Outreach provides FREE walk-in medical care and Mental Healthcare to the uninsured and under-insured of Lewis County and South Thurston County.
Today: Ukulele Lessons
Wednesday: Toledo Community Library
Introducing two upcoming events at the Toledo Community Library/Timberland Kiosk!
Wednesday, May 8th: Rock Painting, 10:00-11:00 am
Wednesday, May 22nd: Family Storytime, 11:30 am-12:15 pm.
Family storytime is an early learning program featuring music, movement, and books for the whole family, followed by a simple, open-ended craft project. Children must be accompanied by a participating adult. Please call the Toledo Community Library at (360)864-4247 to sign up for the Storytime.
Also Wednesday: Anti-Fraud Fair @ Toledo Senior Center
Toledo High School Sports - April/May 2019
District May 8th TBD
May 11th District Champion TBD
May 8th vs Adna 4:00
May 13th - 18th District games Fort Borst Park
May 24th-25th State Gateway Park Yakima
May 10th League Champ @ Kalama
May 17th District Meet @ WF West
May 23rd -25th State in Cheney EWU
!!! GO INDIANS !!!
Future-Tripping: Feeds, Fundraisers, Fun & More
Jamie Cummings says: Make sure to include my upcoming events in your column.
I've talked about them a lot at meetings and whatnot. Thanks!
5/9 Market Preview Day at Toledo Thursday Market https://www.facebook.com/events/587630728381021/
5/18 Toledo Cheese Ball Dance Party https://www.facebook.com/events/265261084402449/
6/8 Work party in Steamboat Alley https://www.facebook.com/events/2249128412004033/
6/22 Mondo Croquet Tournament https://www.facebook.com/events/576756456162540/
Di Morgan says: These fill well in advance of summer break so sign up early!
Summer Camps @ Morgan Arts Centre
Joe Notch reminds everyone: Vessel Safety Checks
The Coast Guard Auxiliary would like to remind all boaters that we do free courtesy vessel exams, often called vessel safety checks.
You can request a vessel exam by going to the CG Auxiliary website, the Coast Guard App or by calling our local vessel examiner, Bob Mccready at (360) 425-2468.
More information at this Link: https://cgaux.org/vsc/
PS - We will also be doing vessel exams during the Kids fishing derby as well.
May 9: Toledo Thursday Market Plant & Flower Sale @ Front Street
May 11: Kids Fishing Derby Toledo, Washington @ South Lewis County Park
Contact Mike Stover @ firstname.lastname@example.org or 360-880-6052.
May 11-12: 13th Annual Battle of the CowlArtz @ Morgan Arts Centre
May 15: Johnston Ridge Observatory Opens @ Mt St Helens
May 18: Anniversary of Mt St Helens Eruption - Free entry @ Johnston Ridge
May 18: Toledo Cheese Ball Dance Party @ Kemp Olson Park
May 18: Cowlitz Kayak Tours Hosts Mt St Helens Anniversary Paddle @ Coldwater Lake
June 8: Work Party II @ Steamboat Alley
June 22: Mondo Croquet Tournament @ Kemp Olson Park
Toledo Builds a High School
Information regarding the building of a new high school in Toledo, WA beginning in November, 2018. Regular updates.
Toledo Thursday Market 2019 TTM Vendor Application.
Toledo Thursday Market 2019 Application PDF link here.
Tax-deductible GoFundMe page here.
*ISO a part-time manager and someone who will help us with social media visibility.
We have a Website going live May 1st highlighting vendors, local activities, seasonal produce options, all with ties to local food hubs.
Check out Latest Earthquakes at USGS.
Check out US Tsunami Warnings at NOAA/Weather.
Air Quality Forecast at https://airquality.weather.gov
Visualize wildfire smoke with NASAWorldview - https://go.nasa.gov/2T7olog
The Other Toledo is delivered to your email inbox via MailerLite. If you're having trouble getting your Daily Column, your security settings might not recognize MailerLite as (your email)via mlsend.
Photos from TOT archives unless otherwise noted.
Send news and events to: email@example.com
The Other Toledo is on Twitter.