- CGGC, THS Students help bring Christmas to Toledo
- Toledo Senior Center funding in jeopardy
- Update: Standing Rock Faces Eviction Threat, Gains Support From Veterans and Others
- November v:T Arts, Rec and Events recap
“Twas the night before Thanksgiving and all through our town, Toledo prepared for the turkey chow down.
There was but a few who had nothing to do, so they met at the Senior Center and assembled a crew...”
Common Ground Garden Community is on Facebook.
Toledo School District is also on Facebook.
From Toledo Senior Center, this plea: Please put something in the column about a meeting with the Lewis County Commissioners 12:30 p.m.Wednesday (November 30, 2016).
There is a strong possibility of closing the doors if they (the commissioners) decide to chop the funding. It will be ugly for the Centers. So we would like to get people here to show the commissioners that we care for and want to keep our Center open.
This has a HUGE impact on the future of the center. It is important for as many people to show up and show their support as possible.
Pass the word. See you there.
Update: Following an announcement that 1,500 veterans, EMT’s & firefighters would be joining the water protectors at Standing Rock, the Army Corps of Engineers issued a December 5 deadline to evict protesters.
Details via Huffington Post from YES! Magazine Editor-at-Large Sarah van Gelder, who spent two weeks at Oceti Sakowin Camp.
Vision:Toledo Arts, Rec & Events met last Tuesday to cover business:
Old Business -
- Library: Bake and Book Sale 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. December 3. Special appearance by Santa for parents who would like to bring their children. BYO camera for photos. Timberland Regional Library may have some low bookshelves to loan for extending children's area.
- Historical Society: Last meeting of 2016 was November 21. The Society helped with an article about Wales Spring (Jordan Nailon, front page of The Chronicle, November 8). Approved limited reprint of 2008 edition "The Toledo Community Story." Suggested to Cool & Connected advisors a task force be formed to attract businesses to Toledo and outlying areas.
- Steamboat Alley: mural painting on hold due to weather. Delin building is in the process of being sold.
- Water Tank: new tank is finished, old tank to be cleaned, relined & refilled
- Veterans Parade: this year’s the biggest and best yet. Ceremony at Veteran's Wall of Honor drew over 100 people. Vision:Toledo handed out 100 American flags to bystanders at the parade.
New Business -
- Cool & Connected: about 40 people attended the workshop conducted by Vita Nuova November 10. They were very well organized, helped inspire creative ideas to take better advantage of ToledoTel's broadband. Summary report due shortly.
- Christmas Time in Toledo: Mayor Dobosh and vision:Toledo are joining to bring the Christmas spirit back to Toledo. A big tree at the boat launch will be lit this year. René Ketchum is working with the schools to create festive drive-thru displays at the City Park. Ron Gaul’s art students are painting windows in Toledo businesses. The Jolly Old Elf will be at Santa's Workshop Sunday (December 4) at the Morgan Arts Centre.
- Common Ground Garden Community: A work party will meet 4 p.m. November 23 at the Senior Center and arrange greens into garlands to decorate planters for the holidays. Help welcome. BYO garden gloves & pruners.
Other Business -
- Toledo School Bond: Citizens for Great Toledo Schools reminded us of the need to pass the Bond Valentine's Day 2017. Photos of high school repairs needed were circulated. FCCLA hosts a free spaghetti dinner December 1, followed by a tour of the high school. Everyone invited.
Next vision:Toledo A.R.E. meeting 6:30 p.m. December 13 at the MAC.
Today - Steamboat Plaza says:
Starting Monday, SteamBoat Plaza coffee shop will stay open until 4 p.m. for a 2-week trial. We Thank You for your continued support.
From Toledo School District:
My thanks to those who attended Tuesday Tours last week. Lots of thoughtful questions and observations. Join me this Tuesday for a look at the issues to be resolved in the bond.
Photos from TOT archives unless otherwise noted.
Everyday Heroes: Envisioned as a local September 11 observation recognizing lesser-known acts of kindness and heroism. Send your nominations to email@example.com.
Email your news, reviews and events to: firstname.lastname@example.org